
13/1/09
Despite waking up earlier, there’s still the same ole traffic jam along the highways. Lucky my father sent me to school on time. As I had some extra time to spare, I went to range first so chat with my seniors.
Then, it was morning assembly. Students walked briskly back to their house positions orderly. You could also hear the chatters among the students as they welcome the new school term.
The NJ-Band played the national anthem. I found it quite unique as compared to the secondary school one. The beat was in sync with the instruments and it was whistling in my ears. Melodious tune. However, I also realised the soft and almost zilch voices from the students (as we sang the anthem). They had also a different way of shouting commands.
Our orientation started off with walk-in performances by the OGLs, (Orientation group leaders). It was fantastic! Isador’s or Ignis’s OGLs performed like those kind of street music where they hit buckets and pans. It was a really catchy tune and they ended it off by setting the kerosene stick ablaze.
The mass dance was the highlight of the day! It is so fun dancing along to “So What!” by Pink. The OGLs taught us the steps. At first it was really easy to grasp it but as we got more and more steps to remember, I began to forget them one by one. Also, during the ‘break’ Vanisha (my new friend) and I thought that it was dismissal for lunch and went to the canteen to eat while others are having their 15 mins break in the hall. I kept questioning to her why are there so few orientees coming to the canteen. By the time we went up to the hall, we realised that everyone was inside and they have actually started with the dance! We laughed and quickly got into position and danced along. I had Phong ("fong"), my OGL as a partner. He is rather nice to work with.
Next, I learnt house cheers during the house session. The song and cheer session really got me hyped up!
Then, it was dismissal but I still had training for shooting until 6pm. Lucky for me, my Coach, Joseline gave me a lift home. She just got her license not long ago. What a nice person! Training was good yesterday. Also I must remind Coach to help me think of my training plan as soon ad possible.
I got home and grandpa treated my ugly callus on my palm.
It hurt a lot, as though the insides of the palm are stuck onto extremely dry ice. It was painful and had a burning sensation that made me cringe.
14/1/09
Today was much interesting than yesterday as we had station games!
I got myself really wet and dirty. We had four stations, the first one is about remembering another’s group members names, and once the veil between us is dropped we would have to shout out the person sitting in front of you. The fastest one wins. And, happy to say, our group won for this game!
The second one is about finding Polo sweets on a plate of flour, sticking your hands into filthy coffee mixture with fibres, find paper clips and finally dip your feet into a bucket of smelly coffee concoction and find key chains. We won again.
The fourth one kept me laughing a lot as we had to transfer cups of water head to head from the front to the back of the line. The cups had holes in it and the line started from Nadina with a big bucket of water on her head. The funny part was that as we were rushing to vie for another victory, we kept rushing and the water instead of being poured into the cup, was poured onto the persons’ neck and head. On top of that, it isn’t just water, its water plus egg and other gross ingredients you can think of.
And overall, our orientation group bonded a lot as we cheered hard during the games and worked together. And we are crowned the First!
Fortunately, we got to take a shower; else I bet the bus driver would bar all NJ orientees from boarding the bus as we are wet and smell of eggs.
Then the Programme followed with the Mass dance. We finally learnt the entire dance and like… within two days! Wow! It was really fun and energetic. I love mass dance!